My toddler doesn’t eat much in the way of veggies, which frustrates me to no end. I wasn’t going to have a fussy kid – he was going to eat everything I give him, I 100% believed that all kids will eat their veggies if not given a choice. And my kid was meant to be a veggie lover. Little did I know… huh. I’m telling you – some kids really are fussy no matter what you do! I never offer alternatives, I tell him they’ll give him super powers, he sees us eat our veggies all the time, he helps with the cooking, he has yummy dipping sauces. But alas, most days he just outright refuses to eat them. I just keep offering them, night after night, and some times he will try them. Occasionally he will eat everything on his plate. But many, many times, he has gone to bed without dinner because he refuses. And that’s ok by me. Cruel? Mean? Some may think so. You know what – he sleeps better on an empty stomach. So if he doesn’t want his dinner, no biggie on my part.
Now, I’m not saying it’s ok to give up. Or that veggies aren’t an important part of a kid’s diet. I will continue to try and get him to eat them. But in the meantime, I will hide them any way I can if it means he’s getting some veggies into him. They are essential. That’s why I love these muffins so much! I’ve made them with an assortment of vegetable ingredients and they always turn out great.
This isn’t a review of someone else’s recipe – this one is all mine. Well, adapted from elsewhere but so far removed from the original that I’m claiming it as mine.
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small carrot
- A few mushrooms (shiitake are great, as are Swiss browns)
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups spelt flour (I’ve also used buckwheat flour which is gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 full fat milk (coconut milk or almond milk are also fine)
- 125g creamed corn
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease muffin tin with olive oil (I often use silicon moulds, they don’t require greasing).
- Grate zucchini, carrot, mushrooms and cheese in the food processor.
- Change the blade to the regular processor blade and add all other ingredients. Pulse until combined.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin or moulds.
- Bake at 180ºC for 20 minutes or until golden.